In an effort to create order out of chaos, when someone’s behaviour is far removed from the norm, we declare – they’re a weirdo and then having put the person in a box; i.e. made secure, we move on.
So as astrologers, when we read of a person of interest in a missing person case being labeled thus and is around the age of fifty, we turn our eyes heavenwards seeking out Chiron on its 50-year orbit around the Sun. We could very well be witnessing ‘a Chiron return’ to a possible natal dysfunction in the individual.
We open our ephemeris, dust off the astrolabe and commence a forensic astrology enquiry, without prejudice; pseudo scientific tools at the ready.
- Missing person: Robyn Lynn-Faith Colson Gardner, aged 35
- The event: Reported to have been snorkeling in the ocean and taken out to sea by the currents.
- When: 2nd August 2011
- Where: Nanki Country Club beach/Baby Beach area, Aruba, Netherlands Antilles.
- Investigation by LE: suspicions aroused due to variation in statements plus actions by Robyn Gardner’s travel companion, Gary Giordano, aged 50.
We have the advantage of coming to the case after three years of media coverage. Time is on our side. Memories come flooding back for everyone of the earlier case in 2005 of missing teenager, Natalee Holloway, in Aruba.
This missing person case is far removed from stranger danger and seduction of a naïve teenager. Robyn Gardner is 35 years of age and in the company of her travelling companion; both from the US.
Robyn and Giordano had hooked up on an internet-dating website a year earlier, with their relationship remaining on a casual basis. He had proposed that they take a cruise together previously and now a week ‘at his expense’, on the Caribbean island of Aruba obviously appealed. Robyn took up Giordano’s offer, telling her boyfriend she was off to see family in Florida and to others, that she was holidaying with a girlfriend.
Following Giordano’s report of his missing companion, local investigators immediately contacted the FBI for background checks on the couple. That feedback, together with variations of how events unfolded after the event, led the authorities to keep Giordano under lock and key in Aruba.
A successful appeal followed, due to lack of evidence, and Giordano returned home to US soil – a free man. But before the sand was washed from his feet, a claim was made on the missing woman’s travel insurance for $1.5M; the premium having been included with the travel ticketing.
‘Motive, motive, motive’ made banner headlines, but still no extradiction. A court case ensued for a sum of $3.5M compensation against Amex with a nil settlement, ending the matter. A whiff of mercenaries and Chiron settles in our olfactory system.
In 2012, Giordano made the headlines again with a charge of indecent exposure; observed having sex in his vehicle and in public view. Whatever else could happen, we may well ask. Chiron does not move quickly through the heavens. In Pisces and given the talent, Giordano might have scored an operetta. He cut a book deal.
So what was in the air; the general atmosphere to set all this in motion on the afternoon of 2nd August 2011?
There was CCTV footage of the couple’s movements over lunch; their departure from the restaurant, drinks topped up in plastic cups at 4:15pm and then Giordano’s return to raise the alarm, two hours later.
Sunset was due at 6:30pm and so there was little daylight to search, nevertheless search, the authorities did, for more than a week; to no avail. Robyn Gardner was never found.
- Sun/Moon midpoint = cusp of the 8th house (death) 01°Virgo – reporting the basic details of a death having taken place.
- Leo Sun (orange) square Jupiter (green) – inflated sense of ego (likely padded the story)
- 8th house Moon (blue) square Lunar nodal axis – traumatic event in a public place.
- Mercury (yellow – communication) on the cusp of 8th house and opposite 1st house Neptune (turquoise) – subterfuge behind the missing person report.
No wonder suspicions were aroused. We have to ask why this man needed to concoct his version of reality. Is he hiding his behaviour, or was he possibly ignorant of the event and made up a cock-and-bull story?
A Leo Sun overhead on that day would not want to admit to possible negligence. Before we leave this chart, note Chiron is at 04°Pisces in the 2nd house; self worth/personal assets.
Despite not having his birth time, we need to explore what we can of this man’s character traits; his horoscope. We generate his birth chart at noon.
Sun exact conjunct Mercury in Taurus and a Moon in Scorpio reveal that we have an intense, temperamental and headstrong individual before us – a combination that would like being noticed, hence the pretty young blonde on his arm, plus there is nothing at all timid about him with that Mercury conjunct Sun.
This Sun-Moon mix can be appealing to the opposite sex, but the temperament they release when their reserve breaks down can make personal relationships very stormy. We have noted that Giordano made sure that he was the one to file for divorce both times, in his marriages; that he also has an officially recorded history of violence against women.
- Chiron at 05°Pisces is conjunct Lunar South Node. There are bound to be serious issues in this man’s early childhood upbringing that can be considered to be ‘different’. Different enough for him to develop into achieving the ‘weirdo’ tag.
Giordano appears to have retained the shadow of the wild centaurs; seeking out ecstatic unity, but unfortunately in Pisces he would very quickly be sucked into the undertow of Neptune’s murky waters. Neptune – Pisces’ ruler, also can lure such an individual into substance abuse and addictions that go with Neptune’s realm: alcohol, drugs, sex and a desire to avoid life’s harsher realities.
- Chiron is also opposite Pluto with the power/powerlessness of his addictions taking control throughout his life, likely triggered by transits.
- Chiron is also quindecile Uranus creating the compulsively erratic behaviour observed by others, when he is under stress.
- Jupiter (green) quindecile Uranus only inflates the problem; hence the ‘weirdo’ tag.
We also note a Venus Rx in this chart. Born during a Venus retrograde is not all that rare, however it does reveal that we would need to be aware of an individual’s tendency towards self-sabotage, particularly in love relationships. Oh what a challenging horoscope this man lives with.
He obviously has mercenary tendencies, but is Gary Giordano a killer?
…continued Part 2