Nancy Pfister was in Byron Bay on the east coast of Australia, far from wintry Aspen when she learned that her tenants were apparently not paying their rent for her mountain chalet in Colorado. As a result, Nancy cut her holiday short and returned to sort out the financial matter.
It’s not as if Nancy was on the bread-line or desperate for the rent. She was an heiress in her own right and was frequently away during the cold winters. Her friend Katherine Carpenter had managed the house-sitting on her behalf for many years. One has to wonder why the need to return when Katherine was there to manage a re-let?
Less than a week after her return to the US, Nancy was dead; murdered in her own home. There would be no return to finish her Australian adventure; no more sunshine and white sand between her toes, down-under.
On the evening of 26th February 2014, Katherine Carpenter made a 911 call reporting the find of her friend’s body. This discovery led investigators to suspect the alleged errant ex-tenants – so with their eventual arrest and charge with the first-degree murder of Nancy Merle Pfister, the Aspen community breathed a sigh of relief. Aspen hadn’t seen a homicide inside a decade.
The ski-resort town was in shock. Nancy Pfister’s tenants were a well-respected retired anesthesiologist, Dr William Styler III and his wife Nancy Styler. Nancy Styler apparently had an upright standing in the community as well. In the town where the Stylers had lived previously, she was renowned as a staunch conservationist of the Victoria giant waterlily plus had extensive interests in horticulture.
But that was ‘the Stylers’ then and following some bad business decisions, this is now…
There was more to come to shock the Aspen community, however. Long term local bank employee and Nancy Pfister’s friend, Katherine Carpenter was arrested some days after the Stylers and also charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder. Aha… the plot thickens!
Authorities have released little other information and the defendants’ arrest affidavits, search warrants and other information remain under a court-ordered seal – so there is no information as to whom did what, when or why. All three co-conspirators remain in the Pitkin County lock-up awaiting trial for the murder.
However that court seal won’t affect any enquiry we might want to undertake. The heavens is outside of their jurisdiction and besides, astrology is a pseudo science – not accepted in a court of law. We can ask questions and make suggestions from interpretation of planetary positions in horoscopes; there is nothing sinister in our intent. As a result, this case study is presented for aficionados of astrology rather than a court of law.
Having the time of the 911-call, plus the birth data for all concerned is on the public record, we just need to put the two sets of information together and see what the heavens might have to share. Note: Not having times of the births of these individuals, we calculate with a mid-range natal Moon for all parties; midday on their birth date.
Commencing our enquiry by generating bi-wheels (method) from the perspective of that 911-call at 6:08pm on 26th February, we combine this event chart with each of the natal horoscopes as need be, commencing our enquiry with the caller. We call this method of enquiry the ‘H-factor’, as it appears to indicate emotive responses in a birth chart in relation to specific events ‘in time’. This is an interpretive method that has been around for thousands of years.
Katherine Marie Carpenter made the 911 phone-call to police. From this first bi-wheel, we can note that there are aspects in her natal chart of interest to us before we even refer to the event in question. In the outer wheel, natal Neptune (turquoise) is conjunct her Lunar Nodal axis plus the likelihood of a natal Moon (blue) conjunct natal Pluto as well.
That was the pattern of the planets in the heavens on the date of Katherine’s birth. Life’s challenges, as some would say. As a result of this natal pattern we have to comment further.
Given the opportunity, it would be useful to ask this woman to share the early history of her relationship with her nurturing female/mother. This would likely reveal considerable shortcomings in her childhood character development, especially in relation to her ability to identify the significance between positive and negative relationships.
Our socialisation skills are usually learned behaviour as a result of interaction with our siblings and childhood peers, however in Katherine’s case the challenging behaviour has likely come from interaction with her primary nurturer; probably, mother.
Katherine also lives with the planetary influence of the mutual receptors of Sun in Aquarius and Uranus in Leo; both planets in their detriment with weakness compounded. Inner rebellion would be a life-long struggle for this woman with a damaged ego and mental health instability is quite likely.
Natal lunar nodal axis is in the 8th house at the time of the 911-call, however it is very close to the 9th house cusp – the traumatic event of reporting the call has been delayed as long as possible indicating an attempt at disconnection from association with the 8th house realm; death.
We note that primarily, the action in this bi-wheel is directed from the 5th house indicating a falling-out of friendships likely and in all likelihood is bound-up with self-worth issues for this woman.
Transiting Venus (pink) likely represents Nancy Pfister on this occasion although I suggest that the other Venusian symbolism of money is bound-up with the motivation for this murder as well. The relationship between the two women likely lacked clear boundaries between servant and master.
- Transiting Venus is quindecile natal Uranus – indicating sudden compulsive changes in their relationship.
- Transiting Moon is opposite natal Uranus – driving needs changing/ relationship confusion.
- Transiting Moon is conjunct natal Venus – again that mother relationship issue of this person’s self-worth is struggling.
- Midpoint of transiting Lunar nodal axis = natal Mercury (yellow) – her method of communication follows an exchange of ideas. Is this the conspiracy exposure?
With transiting Mars conjunct this transiting Lunar nodal axis as part of this midpoint, we can certainly suggest that there has been a corroboration of ideas prior to the call being placed – a corroboration of alibis, perhaps?
- Transiting Mercury (yellow in the inner wheel) conjunct natal Sun – this is the 911-call itself. It has fallen on Katherine to make the call, rather than anyone else as the tenants had already moved out.
- Transiting Neptune (turquoise) opposite natal mid-range Moon – subterfuge drives the need to control the situation by making the call herself.
- Transiting Sun (orange in the inner wheel) is also opposite natal Moon (blue) – there is further mental struggle here. When the Sun and Moon are on opposite sides of a chart it is like a full Moon- i.e. difficult to remain in the shadow, as both luminaries are in the action.
We certainly have had a ‘seriously challenged’ bi-wheel to interpret, however it lacks the input of natal Mars and Saturn in the action. This would usually indicate that Katherine Carpenter was not the wielder of the weapon that killed Nancy Pfister, however it is still too early to call. We need to enquire further and look heavenward for the inter-connections.
A compound chart at this point is of value for those whom need to see the aspects for themselves; for others there is no need to be overwhelmed by the challenge, we interpret for you. The purpose of this tri-wheel is to view the natural interaction between Nancy Pfister and the Styler couple plus the married couple’s inter-relationship – i.e. without any event having taken place.
We do not have birth times and so the angles and houses cannot be taken into consideration in any interpretation of this chart.
When we start with the victim’s natal chart and enquire into Nancy’s relationship with the Styler couple, we can understand why the choice of tenants was a decision from the heart rather than the head.
- William Styler’s natal Uranus at 23° Gemini is conjunct Nancy Pfister’s Mercury-Venus – indicating an immediate connection between the two. Being in the zodiac sign of Gemini tells us that the connection is quick and witty; a mental rapport. This alone would have been enough to put the wife’s nose out of joint, for a start, but there’s more of course.
- Nancy Pfister’s Sun is also conjunct the wife’s Uranus at 13°Cancer – likely creating an ego clash; even more animosity between the two women. Plus..
- Nancy Pfister’s natal Saturn is also conjunct the wife’s Sun – sobering any of that Scorpio ego of Nancy Styler, however take caution Nancy Pfister – this wife will always have a vengeful sting in her Scorpio tail.
There certainly isn’t any ‘love lost’ between these two women – of that, we can be sure. If nothing else, this reveals that Nancy Pfister would have been wise to insist on a go-between in her business transactions with this couple. Katherine Carpenter was meant to fill this role.
Did Nancy Pfister keep her distance from her tenants? With the gift of hindsight, it would seem not. This may be due to other circumstances that we are not aware of and so we must not stand in-judgement of her wisdom, or lack of it.
Note re William Styler: Uranus in Gemini people lose their sense of security when the rug has been pulled out from under them; there’s no ground for them to stand on. So when the rapport between Nancy Pfister and William Styler evaporated due to alleged arrears in rent and non-payment of utilities, this left the man insecure and likely clinging to all he had left, his wife.
As for the relationship of the married couple themselves, it is certainly complex. As husband and wife, we would expect to see some synchronicity in their charts and we do, however the intensity reveals much more than support for each other. They live in each others pockets; claustrophobic for some.
Conjunctions indicate the lack of ability to separate the individual energies:
- Her mid-range Moon conjunct his Pluto – emotional tension is naturally present, with the need for his strength
- Her mid-range Moon conjunct his Saturn – awareness of her partner’s ambition; a sense of aloneness.
- Her Pluto conjunct his Mars – power of persuasion held by the male, to the point of being controlling.
- Her Venus+Saturn conjunct his Neptune – fantasizing that the grass is greener (by the male); deception used.
- Her Neptune conjunct his mid-range Moon – bewildered by his needs
Squares indicate not seeing eye-to eye:
- Her mid-range Moon square his Lunar nodal axis – bringing others into the relationship to fulfill her emotional needs.
- Her Mars square his Jupiter – he fans her fire; making things happen.
Oppositions – mirroring for each other:
- Her Mercury opposite his Venus – idealisation mirrored in each other; a romantic aspect.
Quindeciles – obsessional behaviour indicators revealing the obsession is likely by the husband:
- His Mars (driving the action) quindecile her Lunar north node – obsessed with the notion that combined efforts pay off.
- His Jupiter (inflating) quindecile her Uranus – boundless optimism about the big break just around the corner.
But enough of the characters… Now that we have the background, we can step into that mountain chalet in Aspen when we next meet and reveal the tension in the air and the crime that is about to be committed. Hopefully the heavens will reveal who did what, when and why.
…to be continued Pt.2